At first the services were very informal in nature. Then in 1911, the Reverend J.W. Durham, a traveling A.M.E. minister, introduced the small group to the theological discipline of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The church, while first known as the Lincoln A.M.E. Church, then the Bethel A.M.E. Church, was renamed the Seaton Memorial A.M.E. Church in 1918 in honor of its third pastor, the world-traveler, author, lecturer, and physician, Dr. Daniel P. Seaton.
The land upon which the original church stood was secured in 1913 from the Lincoln Land and Improvement Company, however, the first church building was not entered until 1922 under the pastorate of Rev. W.H. Brown. In the early 1970’s under the guidance of Rev. Mack Bell, a determined thrust toward creating a building took shape, and in 1977, Rev. H. Michael Lemmons was appointed to Seaton Memorial with the building of a new church as his highest priority. On April 4, 1982, ground was broken for the new building and on March 25, 1984, the Dedicatory Service for the new Seaton Memorial A.M.E. Church took place.
In 2014, Reverend Ronald A. Boykin was appointed to serve as the Pastor of
Seaton Memorial. With his helpmate, Helen, the church has prospered.
In 2014, Reverend Ronald A. Boykin was appointed to serve as the Pastor of Seaton Memorial. With his helpmate, Helen, the church has prospered.
meeting at 7:30 pm.
5507 Lincoln Avenue - Lanham, MD 20706