Introduction
Seaton Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Church was established in 1911.  As we look prayerfully to our 100th anniversary celebration in 2011, we continue our long-standing theme to be “Anchored in the Past, Witnessing in the Present and Building for the Future.”  Through our building campaign, we plan to construct an adjoining facility to our existing edifice that will be a beacon of light that responds to the call to serve the members of our congregation, the surrounding community and the Connectional A.M.E. Church, particularly smaller churches that do not have sufficient space in their current buildings.

History of the Lincoln-Vista Community

The Lincoln Park community in which the church is located had its origins against the background of the Jim Crow Laws that were in effect during the first part of the 20th century.  One of the social results of Jim Crow was the establishment of separate communities and housing developments for African Americans.  By 1904, the Lincoln Land and Improvement Company of Washington, DC, became active in the sale of property in the community to Black people.  By 1908, as a few families built homes and moved into the community, it became apparent that the institution so important to Black development – the church – was needed.

History of Seaton Memorial A.M.E. Church

In 1911, the Reverend J.W. Durham, a traveling minister, introduced the group of families to the theological discipline of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was first known as Lincoln AME Church, then Bethel AME Church and finally Seaton Memorial AME Church in 1918 in honor of its third pastor, the world-traveler, author, lecturer and physician, Dr. Daniel P. Seaton. The land upon which the original church stood was secured in 1913, however, the first church building was not entered until 1922.  A determined thrust of a building fund took place in the 1970’s with the groundbreaking ceremony on April 4, 1982 and the dedication of our current facility on March 25, 1984.

Biography of Timothy Sylvester Hay

Timothy S. Hay was the third of ten children born to Sylvester and Carrie Hay on April 2, 1943. His formal education began at the Lincoln Elementary School.  He graduated from Maryland State College (University of Maryland, Eastern Shore) and entered the military where he met his wife, Geraldine Hines.  As an educator at heart, Tim became a dedicated math teacher at Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Greenbelt, MD until he retired after 10 years in 1992.  His first love was Jesus Christ and our church where he served as Superintendent of the Church School, steward, member of the Men’s Choir and Lay Organization. He served as the Superintendent of the Potomac District Sunday School of the AME Church’s Washington Conference from 1980 until his death in 1994. He dreamed of building an educational wing for “all of his children of the Sunday School” which inspired the membership to honor him.

A Fundraising Plan for the
Timothy S. Hay Educatinal Wing
Anchored in the Past

 

 

 

 

 

 

Phase 2: Centennial Level (2010 - 2011)
Home
Mission
Ministries 
History
Pastor
Links
Location
Prayer Request
Children & Youth Corner
Donation
Timothy Hay Building Fund
Senior Ministry
Calendar
Ministerial Staff 
Building for the Future
Seaton Memorial
African Methodist Episcopal Church
Contact Us
Copyright ©2010 All Rights Reserved For more information feel free to |

 

 

 
Weekly Activities
 
 
Every 2nd and 4th Sunday  New Members Orientation Classes after service
 
Every 2nd Monday – YPD monthly meeting at 6:30 pm
 
Soul Worshiping Christ Dance  Ministry rehearsal  - Sunday after service 
 
Every 4th Friday Sons of Allen Men Ministry monthly

meeting at 7:30 pm.

 

5507 Lincoln Avenue - Lanham, MD  20706

301-794-6476

CHURCH SCHOOL at 9:30 am - WORSHIP SERVICE at 11:00 am